Eval Riders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eval Riders

Yesterday at Dixon in my 1st moto, I crashed into the back of an eval rider as he came from the left side of the track to the middle where I was and where I had a good run at him.Can't blame it all on him, since I hit the back of his bike, I had noticed he wasn't really riding that well and my thoughts were to get around him quickly. I'm pretty sore today, and it was painful to drive and to get in/out of the truck , and I may have a slight concussion. Don't want to see anyone go through what I did or worse.
    I have noticed some of the eval riders ride over their heads and think there is something to be had by winning their Eval races but also have lack track savvy and bike setup skills. I heard Gary say on the PA that a couple of the Eval riders crashed on the sighting lap after watering the track. Perhaps we need to change how we seat these guys into classes. It might be for everyone's best interest.
    Maybe we should have an Eval only race where they are graded on their lap times and riding ability to determine what class they go into. This would make it easier for us since there is only 1 race to watch and give them more track experience, without pressure , against other Eval riders.
    My only concern to is get everyone home safely, keep people coming back and keep the sport/gang going strong.
    Brad 95s

Morning all!
    well put! I am in the same class that your in and had a similar situation on the restart. I think it’s a great idea to let Evals have there own race. I get it, it’s racing but is it really friken worth getting hurt and being out of work!!!!. I hardly ever post on this site but felt like I needed to second the motion. I certainly hope in the future something is done about this situation. The best part of that post is getting us all home safe and keep all of us coming back. Have a great day all!!!.

Comment

Originally posted by HUFFER95S View Post
      Yesterday at Dixon in my 1st moto, I crashed into the back of an eval rider as he came from the left side of the track to the middle where I was and where I had a good run at him.Can't blame it all on him, since I hit the back of his bike, I had noticed he wasn't really riding that well and my thoughts were to get around him quickly. I'm pretty sore today, and it was painful to drive and to get in/out of the truck , and I may have a slight concussion. Don't want to see anyone go through what I did or worse.
      I have noticed some of the eval riders ride over their heads and think there is something to be had by winning their Eval races but also have lack track savvy and bike setup skills. I heard Gary say on the PA that a couple of the Eval riders crashed on the sighting lap after watering the track. Perhaps we need to change how we seat these guys into classes. It might be for everyone's best interest.
      Maybe we should have an Eval only race where they are graded on their lap times and riding ability to determine what class they go into. This would make it easier for us since there is only 1 race to watch and give them more track experience, without pressure , against other Eval riders.
      My only concern to is get everyone home safely, keep people coming back and keep the sport/gang going strong.
      Brad 95s
      Brad,

Sorry to hear that you had a get off, heal up and we'll see you another day! I'm sure of it!

Before I get to far into this, let me point this out food for thought.......Sunday we had two very seasoned intermediate riders collide in a race very similar incident as yours, no body was hurt thankfully, but one riders bike suffered several hundred dollars worth of damage...... not making any excuses, but when we take to the gate........ well you know what can happen.

As for your comments... sounds like you may have came in a little hot, I know the track was watered right before your moto.. we all know how that Dixon can get slippery and traction can be an issue when it's been freshly watered.

This past weekend the Sierra chapter had 9 eval riders, during the interview process the new riders are questioned on their skill set and ability. We like to error on caution and tend to place a rider in a lower class and then move a rider up in classification based on a moto or race weekend. The eval are observed and documented on eval forms during the course of the eval process.

I believe there were 2 classes in that moto, 45 and 58 intermediate, the track was freshly watered... again.. we all know how that can happen, a seasoned rider not familiar with Dixon can easily take a soil sample after watering.

The purpose of a eval process is to observe a new members skill set with their peers during a race conditions. The purpose of the vest is to alert other more experience riders to be mindful of eval riders. Lap times, bike handling skills, jumping are all observed when evaluating riders. Eval rider are interviewed after each moto and if their skill set is not matching up with the peers in the class then at this point we can move the rider up or down. I make a point to discuss the race with the eval and then decided if the rider stays moves up or down, new bike, physical conditioning, nerves all play a part in placing a rider in a class.

​​​​​​​I would encourage you to participate in a race weekend under the Sierra tent and follow along with the days events and also the eval process to get different perspective. The board members are also out there racing with eval riders as well and safety is our first concern to our members. If a rider feels the need to discuss a eval skill set or behavior please feel free to bring it to a board members attention.

​​​​​​​I appreciate
      your comments and concerns, rest assured Brad that I take the position of Race Director seriously as it does have an effect on all members who line up on the gate.

Thanks
      Rick Van Dyk
      375s

Comment

Rick, First off , i respect what a good job you and the other officers of the club are doing and i just wanted to share my experience and a share suggestion, not critique anything or anyone.
        You and I raced have together raced mostly together since I re-joined the gang in 2016 and you know how I ride and I know how everybody else rides in the 52-58 Int. classes and I never came close to having that sort of problem before. We race tough, but not dangerously. I don't take chances with myself or anyone's well-being. This guy came into my line,looks like his suspension compressed a lot,he went to the RT., I was there and I hit him, go-pro shows it, - just a racing thing, I get it and will heal and move on. I'm just glad i wasn't hurt worse.
        BTW-They hadn't watered before my moto, it was dry. Those Eval guys who crashed on the sighting lap were in a races a few before mine, i was race 10.
        I still think it would be better to let these guys race each other...Like at the end of the motos when the support guys run. Maybe they can get their nerves settled before joining their respected classes. Just my opinion.
        This incident will change the way i race them......
        And I like to thank the couple of guys that stopped their race to block the track when I was down and literally out- I know Brian Leetham, 176B was one of them.
        Last edited by HUFFER95S; 06-30-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Brad... it's all good info... we definitely can learn from experiences along with feedback, both positive and negative to look at improving our processes as a organization.

Thanks
          Rick Van Dyk
          375s

Comment

To all concerned,
            I was an Eval rider in race 10 on Sunday and saw Brad go down to the left of me. Brad I'm glad your OK, it looked like a hard fall. A couple of concerns come up in my mind. In most forms of racing rookies are marked. When I raced cars for instance, rookies had a yellow rookie stripe on the back of their car, In this case we had yellow vests. This is to alert more experienced riders of the new riders lack of familiarity with the track/club/procedures or just plain lack of experience. You could be very experienced but the lack of knowledge regarding the other riders habits, or the organizations habits/procedures can make you look and act like a rookie even if you are experienced. You should always approach these individuals with caution. This event was about 4 turns into the first lap and the entire field was still pretty well bunched up. It sounds like you were faster than him and myself and would probably passed any of us eval riders easily after things had settled down and the field had spread out a bit. The location where you went down I remember well. I was taking different exit lines depending on traffic but while taking the inside line I had riders coming from the outside line move over on me there too. There was a bit of a whole on the outside exit. Again, if your faster, and coming up on someone, you have the responsibility to make the clean pass, no rider can see whats coming from behind. You can never see what the rider in front of you may be trying to avoid. If it were me, I would have waited to make the pass until things had sorted out a bit and weren't so bunched up, or taken a wider line to protect myself against their unpredictable nature.
            I was pleasantly surprised how respectful the riders were going into and through the first turn after the gate drop. Since I was new I didn't bother trying to be the first one to the turn, I stayed basically mid-pac and watched what was going on but didn't have anyone close me off aggressively and was able to make a few clean passes after things sorted themselves out. At our age non of us want to have a needless crash. The reason we are out there is not to earn money or get another trophy but to have fun in a safe environment, But it is still racing and things happen.
            Thanks to the organizers for their hospitality in welcoming me into this new-to-me environment. Everyone I encountered as very welcoming. Looking forward to gaining experience and friends in this group. Brad, I hope your feeling better soon. Sorry for any grief myself or any other Eval riders may have caused you.
            Last edited by kirk_shorter; 07-03-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Hello Kirk and welcome. I do respect and agree with most of what you say, thanks for taking time to chime in. I don't think I was being impatient , i was trying to stay out of his line and go past him and there wasn't any time for me to correct myself, I didn't see he was coming over until I hit him, he was just there, he came from the far left to the center of the track. I am not trying to condemn Eval riders, I am just making a suggestion that might work out better for everyone and keep them coming back. See you at the races!!

Comment

• kirk_shorter
                kirk_shorter commented
                Editing a comment
                Completely understand, Again glad your OK and look forward to talking with you at the next event. Hopefully MMX. I would have no problem doing a first race with all eval riders, Or just start everyone in the novice class to start. The cream will rise to the top and it won't take long to determine who should be in a tougher class.
            Working...
            X