Coulda been better

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coulda been better

Here are a couple of things to consider before we get to the National.
    I would think this is easy/old news to most but maybe not .

1. Yellow flags.
    a. Enforce the rule if it’s going to be a rule.
    b. Pay enough attention ( team of race directors... not one race director that is slammed busy) to notice when rules are being broken.
    3 times in two laps I checked up on jumps to insure I wouldn’t land on someone. In all three instances I was either passed or competition made time on me because they didn’t check up.
    c. Is it that much of a challenge to educate flangers that they only have to flag their section rather than standing at a jump face flagging for an incident that is 2 turns away. Fugg!

2. Multiple gate drops and get the fugg out of the way of you ain’t here to race.
    a. For the Oatfield, if there are going to be multiple classes on one gate and or multiple classes in a single Moto, we need to let the gate guys know to drop the second gate once the first gate is further down the track.
    In race 1 moto2 today (second gate), we had caught riders from the first gate before we landed from the very first jump on the track . Between back markers checking up and yellow flags everywhere, a straight up honest race was not to be had.
    b. Riders, if you give up ( it was easy to get tired today) a standard courtesy is to move over and out of the race line. Please consider that others may still be pushing.

Better Luck? Next time.
    Last edited by dan472b; 04-14-2019, 02:57 PM.

i hear you .. the flaging was horrendous ... they were not paying attention to the track .. seen several crashes... no one noticed untill some one hit the downed rider kinda like hollister last year ... to many riders in the 30/38/45 novice class for one moto .. need to break it up ...

Comment

Dan. I totally agree with the first half of your points. The flagging def had its struggles today and added to a few extra guys going down. But your last one definitely needs to be reconsidered. Standard courtesy for a slower rider is not to get out of the faster riders way, but standard safety is for the slower rider to hold his or her line even if it is in your so called race line. (The race line to you may not be the fast race line to someone else). So the correct and safe thing for the rider to do is to stick to his/her line. If you are faster than the slower rider, then you should have no problem getting around them. But panic revving the shit out of your bike, and screaming at the slower rider through some S turns, for holding his line is definitely no better. In fact that makes the situation worse cause all that will do is scare the slower rider into swerving right or left causing them to take you both out while your trying to get around him/her. So just some food for thought when your lecturing others, make sure your actions aren’t just as dangerous or discourteous.

Comment

You can't get out of the way in a race. You can only move over and get in the way of the faster rider that has already planned where he is going around you!
        If a rider is faster he will get around you even if he has to go off track to do it! Moving over will only cause a high speed collision! Motocross bikes don't have mirrors and no one is psychic. The slower rider doesn't have eyes in the back of his head!
        Holding your line and not making erratic, last-minute swerves across the track is the only safe thing a rider can do!

Comment

[QUOTE=dan472b;n979

b. Pay enough attention ( team of race directors... not one race director that is slammed busy) to notice when rules are being broken.
          3 times in two laps I checked up on jumps to insure I wouldn’t land on someone. In all three instances I was either passed or competition made time on me because they didn’t check up
          .[/QUOTE]

I just want to speak regarding the race directors and this is just my personal opinion. Yes we can get very busy having to watch a lot of things during the race. We try to do the best we can and document as much as we can but we do miss things. The yellow flag thing can be a topic we discuss or reaffirm at the riders meeting as well. Flaggers can be frustrating but we gotta make the best of what the promoter has available. I do think Corkey adding that light before the big step up was a great idea but when it was activated it was very very dim. If he can make the flashing red light more visible it may help get the attention of the riders or move it little further away from the face of the jump so the riders that time to cut it off instead of being fully committed.
          Last edited by Ryan305b; 04-14-2019, 09:06 PM.

Comment

What does a blue flag mean? Does it mean hold your line?

The faster rider will get around you thing applies to a condition where you have an entirely different skill level with you on the course.

Besides those points, the root of today’s issue was the second gate being dropped to early.

Today, the second gate had caught up to traffic before the 5th turn on the track. That should be an easy one to fix as long as the team is aware and makes a point of taking action .
            Something like the last rider on gate one has to reach point A ( my suggestion would be 3 turns before the step up) , before the second gate is dropped.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjxe0fTIwzc

several examples of “ getting out of the way “ in a race.

Andrew, this is not directed at you.

This video has Larry’s name all over it.

Comment

Yep! Three perfect examples of lapped riders holding their line and not making erratic moves on the track!
                Exactly as I said!

Comment

That’s funny. I watch the same video and see riders nearly pulling off the track to get out of the way.

I don’t remember a request for erratic. movements.

Comment

Originally posted by dan472b View Post
                    What does a blue flag mean? Does it mean hold your line?

The faster rider will get around you thing applies to a condition where you have an entirely different skill level with you on the course.

Besides those points, the root of today’s issue was the second gate being dropped to early.

Today, the second gate had caught up to traffic before the 5th turn on the track. That should be an easy one to fix as long as the team is aware and makes a point of taking action .
                    Something like the last rider on gate one has to reach point A ( my suggestion would be 3 turns before the step up) , before the second gate is dropped.
                    Then you would be complaining you got lapped by the first gate

Comment

The hold your line would be awesome. Especially on jumps.

Comment

Understand that you have frustrations about the race Sunday. Flaggers, that is AMP's department and they are the people who have to train them at the job at hand, it is a challenge for them to find people who want to sit out at a track all day and have an important job as flagging, many of the good ones dont come back for long. So yes it is challanging, but that is something we will talk with AMP about for the national. The 2 workers that drop the gate and that hold the 1 minute board, they are very new to doing this, AMP's other 2 that were with them for many years are gone now. That is something else we will talk to AMP about to spread the gate drops out a little more so 2nd gate doesnt catch the first gate, but that is also challenging cause if they have a specific point where they are going to drop the gate at each split gate the faster classes will catch the 2nd gate too soon in the moto so that one is a catch 22. As far as a team of race directors, we only have a 1 main race director and a assistant. It is hard to have a team of them when no body wants to volunteer for the position. So we are limited this year, yes it is hard to see every rule that is broken out on the track, but if you got passed 3 times because of the yellow flag please bring it to the race directors attention (not the promoters) so we can at least talk to the riders and enforce the rules. My only advice for your aggrevation about slower riders getting out of the race line is my years of racing I have seen more riders get hurt trying to get out of they way than holding their line, its better to take a couple more turns to get around them than have them take out your front wheel and high side you trying to move over and your the one injured. I rather take a few more turns myself to get around them then be on the ground cause they didnt know exactly where you were to move to move out of the way, cause that has happened to me and that is more frustrating than just taking more time to get around them.

Comment

I saw a bit of both here. I'm in favor of debates like this as long as our point of reference is more video like this. That was awesome!

Comment

Thanks for getting it Troy.

I’ve been doing some racing down south where the pro’s and I are on the course at the same time. At the speed these guys are going, I learned quickly to get out of the way ASAP . Usually when one comes by, several others are moments away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xluXBCXXSeA

At the 5:21 mark, Robby Bell blows by me like I’m standing still.

Much of Sunday’s frustration was due to multiple gates on the course at once and folks not knowing exactly who they were racing against.

That and the yellow flag jumping blew out what was an extremely “ On” day for me. Those on days get further and fewer in between anymore.

Ultimately I’ll hope that this post directs more attention to both issues for the National.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

Glad to see some things never change dan! So you’re still racing on Sunday and critiquing on Monday ?. Lol! Be good to see you again and line up on the gate like old times. Just no more comlaining about me not being an intermediate...deal? ?. One thing... I raced their for our opener., did amp run the whole track or was it shortened up becaue of mud condition still? I was looking at lap times and seems like you top three guys were clicking along✌️

Comment

Working...
                              X