Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

**Awards Banquet Tickets Now Available!**
UPDATES: Banquet Hotel Rooms

***As of January 14th there were only 3 rooms left on our block with a special*discount.
Anyone who missed reserving their room can reach out to*Janelle Cardosa directly.

Janelle Cardoso
Event Sales*Manager
Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown – Arena
300 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-384-0152 direct line
916-446-7371 fax

Visit this link to buy tickets: [CLICK HERE]
View/Download Flyer: [CLICK HERE]
See more
See less

Tech help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech help needed

I have a 2016 YZ450F I purchased used last summer. I pulled the rear wheel off to replace the tire and check everything out and noticed the rear rim is offset approx 3/8" to the brake side. I've searched all over and can't find if the rim should be centered in the hub or offset like it is. It's a Tusk complete rear that supposedly came ready to ride.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Mike454s

Not the wheel expert... but we have a club member and sponsor who is... Give Troy a call after 2pm M-F at TCR Wheels. I'm sure he'd be able to get you the information that your looking for.

Comment

I'm not a wheel expert either, but I can't imagine you'd ever want the rim to not be centered on the hub! Sounds like an improperly built (or maintained) wheel...
      Matt Elkins 303b
      2019 CRF-450 * Sierra Motor Sports, Fly Racing, Atlas Brace/Tag Metals, Mobius Braces, NoToil, Acerbis, Scott Sport, Factory Effex, Works Connection, Braking, OGIO, Dunlop
      Instagram

Comment

That's what I figured but the second issue I've noticed is the spokes on the side it need to move towards are already almost poking through the nipples. If I move the rim to center then 1 side of spokes will be too long.

Comment

Welp, I just call Troy and he said mine is correct with the current offset.
          Thanks guys for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike454s View Post
            Welp, I just call Troy and he said mine is correct with the current offset.
            Thanks guys for the help.
            weird! I wonder why it has to have an offset???
            Matt Elkins 303b
            2019 CRF-450 * Sierra Motor Sports, Fly Racing, Atlas Brace/Tag Metals, Mobius Braces, NoToil, Acerbis, Scott Sport, Factory Effex, Works Connection, Braking, OGIO, Dunlop
            Instagram

Comment

Matt,
              Troy says that almost all manufacturers have some offset needed to work around the chain, calipers and the swingarm geometry. He claims that guys who center the rim are not building their rims correctly.
              Guess we learn something new every day.

Comment

The reason wheels have offsets mostly rear, if the wheel is centered sometimes its too close to the silencer it will rub and leave tire marks or if it is too close it will rip the silencer off. Ive seen the spokes hit the brake caliper and break the spokes, too close to the sprocket and the chain will hit the tire and rip side knobs off and possibly break the chain. With Honda dual exhaust it is crucial that the offset is correct to clear both silencers, some wheels look wrong off the bike but when the wheel is put on the bike with the offset correct it centers into the swingarm. All manufactures have a specific offset and they are all different. If anybody has wheel questions dont hesitate to call I can answer immediatly if you post a wheel related question I might not see it right away to answer.

TCR Wheel
                Troy 209-368-9800

Comment

Thanks again Troy for your help on this.

Comment

Originally posted by tcardiel View Post
                    The reason wheels have offsets mostly rear, if the wheel is centered sometimes its too close to the silencer it will rub and leave tire marks or if it is too close it will rip the silencer off. Ive seen the spokes hit the brake caliper and break the spokes, too close to the sprocket and the chain will hit the tire and rip side knobs off and possibly break the chain. With Honda dual exhaust it is crucial that the offset is correct to clear both silencers, some wheels look wrong off the bike but when the wheel is put on the bike with the offset correct it centers into the swingarm. All manufactures have a specific offset and they are all different. If anybody has wheel questions dont hesitate to call I can answer immediatly if you post a wheel related question I might not see it right away to answer.

TCR Wheel
                    Troy 209-368-9800
                    Troy, thanks for taking the time to explain all this, your expertise is greatly appreciated! I can't help but wonder why the manufacturers don't center the rim on the hub and use different thickness wheel spacers to accomplish the necessary clearances though. There must be a reason since they all use wheel offset as you've described, but I can't imagine what it would be...
                    Matt Elkins 303b
                    Instagram

Comment

The reason for wheel offsets is the hub is stationary in the swingarm, that means the disc is lined up to the brake caliper and the sprocket flange is lined up to the countershaft sprocket, if you use spacers to move the hub closer to the disc that means the sprocket flange will not line up with the counter shaft sprocket and the chain will derail and vice versa the opposit way. For instance in 2014 Honda moved the counter sprocket shaft away from the side cases 3mm they had some problems with the chain rubbing the side cases that was their fix for that in result they had to make a new rear hub with the sprocket flange also moved 3mm in the same direction, so that is why you cannot use a rear hub from 2000-2013 on a newer 2014-2019 bike they are two different hubs now. If they made new spacers to offset the hub 3mm they would have to move the brake caliper over 3mm for the disc to line up, If you look at some manufactures oem silencers they have a dent in the bottom of the silencer to clear the brake caliper when the shock is completly bottomed out, if they had to move the caliper over 3mm in the opposite direction not in this case, it might cause the silencer to hit the disc. Also 125/250f have a smaller width rim on the rear than the 250/450f that changes things also, my opinion is it is easier for the manufacture to offset the rear wheel at the assembly line they have jigs that they use to build the wheels that have the offset in them, and they have not had to change that jig offset since 1995. Hope this helps a little in understanding.

Troy TCR

Comment

Originally posted by tcardiel View Post
                        The reason for wheel offsets is the hub is stationary in the swingarm, that means the disc is lined up to the brake caliper and the sprocket flange is lined up to the countershaft sprocket, if you use spacers to move the hub closer to the disc that means the sprocket flange will not line up with the counter shaft sprocket and the chain will derail and vice versa the opposit way. For instance in 2014 Honda moved the counter sprocket shaft away from the side cases 3mm they had some problems with the chain rubbing the side cases that was their fix for that in result they had to make a new rear hub with the sprocket flange also moved 3mm in the same direction, so that is why you cannot use a rear hub from 2000-2013 on a newer 2014-2019 bike they are two different hubs now. If they made new spacers to offset the hub 3mm they would have to move the brake caliper over 3mm for the disc to line up, If you look at some manufactures oem silencers they have a dent in the bottom of the silencer to clear the brake caliper when the shock is completly bottomed out, if they had to move the caliper over 3mm in the opposite direction not in this case, it might cause the silencer to hit the disc. Also 125/250f have a smaller width rim on the rear than the 250/450f that changes things also, my opinion is it is easier for the manufacture to offset the rear wheel at the assembly line they have jigs that they use to build the wheels that have the offset in them, and they have not had to change that jig offset since 1995. Hope this helps a little in understanding.

Troy TCR
                        Yup, that totally makes sense, thanks Troy!
                        Matt Elkins 303b
                        Instagram

Comment

Working...
                        X